Tuesday, August 16, 2011

New Love Affair

Kodak Portra 400 and 600 in 120mm and 35mm
Polaroid 680 SLR Impossible Project PX680 Beta
I love this stuff.

Kodak introduced a new Portra film in September of last year. I finally got around to shooting some and I must say, it's impressive. Very impressive.

The grain of this film is like air. you can't see it but you know it's there. It's incredibly small. It's also amazingly nice. The technology behind it comes from the Vision 35mm film they shoot movies on. It's also specifically designed to be scanned instead of printed optically. I'm sure it can still be printed with light through glass, but that's fast becoming a rare thing. Most folks do a digital print cycle.

The skin tones are perfect in this film, requiring absolutely no adjustments whatsoever. Skin tones are so hard to hit with digital, this was a refreshing change. Less time using photoshop is always a great thing.

Since the introduction of the 400, they have also introduced a 160. I haven't shot any in 120 as of yet, but I'm planning to as soon as I can.

The only fault I can find with this new film is the price for 35mm. The 120 is priced reasonably, but the 35 seems high. Of course, cheap film isn't, in the long run.

In an era when film is supposedly dead, I'm glad to see the direction Kodak is moving in. Two new film stocks in the last year- Ektar and Portra. I'm in love with them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment