Saturday, November 28, 2015

Changing the tires

This time of year, I have a debate with myself. Is it time to change the tires, yet?


Permanently out to pasture

Permanently out to pasture


It’s gone from unseasonably warm to unseasonably cold pretty fast. I didn’t spend enough time riding this year. Too much work, too little bicycle is a bad thing. A very bad thing. I miss my saddle time. This year I have had some great riding experiences, and some struggles, but I just don’t think I put enough miles under the bike to call it over just yet.


At some point, I’ll walk to the window with a steaming mug of coffee in hand and stare out over the snow piling up outside. I’ll pull out my phone and check the temperature. I’ll look out and consider again. And then I’ll admit that winter has won and start the process of changing out the tires on the bicycle.


Winter rides are solitary

Winter rides are solitary


Souls who are more hearty than I change their tires for studded ones and continue to ride outside. I am a weenie, and change mine for the worn out slicks I use while the bike is on the trainer. In the past, I’ve ridden outside as much as I can in the cold, but lately I’ve just switched over to walking during the winter months. There’s already been some significant wind chill this winter, and moving at a higher speed just exacerbates that problem. And while I have a pretty good track record riding on the snow and ice without any nasty spills, riding on the streets with cars on the snow and ice makes me a bit nervous.


So this morning, I got up and looked outside and wondered if it was time. Time to switch in to full winter mode, and change the tires. To peruse Netflix and prepare the winter queue for hours of putting the bike on the trainer and pedaling. The addition of HBO Go this year should at least improve my viewing options. But today I am being an optimist. I’m not giving up on having that last ride outside just yet.


Besides, I can’t remember where I put the other tires anyway.



Changing the tires

No comments:

Post a Comment